Wednesday, May 03, 2006

To Mark - From Shelly

My memories are from ½ a lifetime ago, but they are still a part of me everyday. I remember our first conversation in a car packed full of teenagers on the way home from a Bon Jovi concert. I remember your dog Jazz, and not having to ask how she got her name. I remember summers at the boathouse and learning to ski off the back of the boat. I remember your dad in the water with me the first time I learned to ski and you were so surprised that I got up out of the water the first time, that you nearly fell in with us. My memories are about your mom helping me write some papers and you saying you would give anything to be able to describe something on paper the way she could. My memories are about two proms and a trip to Florida with the band. I remember character building times with your family that I still apply today. I remember a family of love and activity and togetherness that skied all year around whether in the water or the snow. I remember eating dinner with your family while you drummed your fingers at the table and seeing Spyro Gyra at the Nautica on a summer night together. I remember camping in Oregon and the ash of your eyelashes from getting too close to the fire…… I can’t listen to Billy Joel without knowing how you felt about the lyrics and the music. I remember when Rush and Billy was all that was played in your brown “Boo” with a gas tank that couldn’t be filled past ½ full because of the hole in it. I remember your love for your sister and her abilities. I remember you coming back from Vail the year I thought I was in love and you looked like a raccoon from the suntan line the goggles gave you. I remember the beret you wore when you played the drums in the marching band, and how you always led the pack even as a freshman. I remember your disappointment in my flute playing when you tried to get a classical girl to ad-lib in the basement while you played along on the drums. There were early mornings to get to Peek-n-Peak so that we could ski all day. I remember you saying that if I can walk then I can ski. I remember hoping you would show up for a reunion or a wedding so that I could see how you were doing and praying for your happiness and success. I still do… as has always been the case where you are concerned, I can’t seem to find closure, so I guess I will “leave a tender moment alone”. Be peaceful Mark. Know that you are cherished.

- Shelly

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Thanks, Shelly - what you wrote is so very sweet, and it is so neat for us "college friends" to hear stories from Mark's High School years. I would never have guessed that Mark was a Billy Joel fan.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home