Monday, April 24, 2006

From Mark's Mom (Claudia)



Claudia asked me to post a few things here for her. First, a poem she wrote for Mark at one of his gigs. Based on the date and the location she mentioned, I think it was probably with the Jeff Ludwig Quartet - but I guess that's not so important. Also, she requested that I include a link to the American Porphyria Foundation - which I have done in the blog sidebar to the right.

" I would also like you to post the name of the website for the American Porphyria Foundation as a source of information to people who have for so long known that Mark has been ill, but who--like most doctors we encountered--know nothing of the condition or its devastating effects. Among the types of porphyria, his was identified as acute intermittent. It certainly explains the "attacks" which forced him to spend far too many days in bed. Unbelievably, the medication that he was prescribed and which he took faithfully for 'irritable bowel disorder for five years "


She also sent a couple pictures. The first picture was taken at Christmas 2004 near their home at the Prescott zoo. The second is Mark and Claudia in Skull Valley, AZ in the spring of 2005. It's great to see these more recent pictures of him. It's also hard because he seems so close... just one year ago.

Distant Drummer

Where do you go
when you close your eyes
as you play?
Do you spiral deep
into a centering place?

I want so desperately
to accompany you,
to ride on the pulsating
rhythms and sounds
that explode beneath
your fingers,
beckoning me.

I watch you closely
but find no clue in your pursed lips
which guard the secret.
I am left,
quite alone,
outside the circle,
the center inaccessible
to me.

Mom
1993

2 Comments:

Blogger dave bushey said...

One time in the fall of 1992, Mark told me he sometimes wrote poetry. I was a bit suprised to hear that. He showed me some stuff he wrote, so I had him read some things I wrote, too. It was neat to share that kind of thing with him - especially Mark Greenwood, right? Who knew? He wrote some pretty good stuff. I'd never shared any writings/poems with anybody in that way before. Mark opening up like that was kind of cool - we even designated an area in our apartment as some sort of poetry wall, where we'd post things we'd write to share with each-other and critique. Sounds kind of silly now, but it was cool at the time.

I think Mark had many sides to him that he didn't readily share, and it was always neat when he revealed one of those apsects of himself. Since then, I saw Mark in a slightly different light - as a guy who could be sensitive & passionate about his feelings, but somehow still made it cool to do so. I should also see if I have anything he wrote that I ended up with. It was good stuff.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claudia:

I am so sorry to hear about Mark. Since you and Bruce left the area, haven't heard much about the "kids".

My prayers are with you, Bruce and Kristin.

Judy Rarick

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home