Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A few memories

I met Mark when we were freshmen together at Capital. Looking back, Mark and Aaron seemed to always be together. The first thing that struck me about Mark was his self-confidence and self-assurance. Watching Mark play the drums was a magical experience, he made it look effortless. Meanwhile, I was struggling to discover my path in life, was vocal performance it? Mark was born to be a musician, to tell stories through his talent. Mark also struck me because of his sense of humor. Mark and Aaron showed me the art of the wisecrack, the power of wordplay, the importance of humor. At that point in my life, I took everything seriously and to heart, even the little things. One story stands out concerning Mark's sense of humor. Our first two years in college Aaron, Mark, and Frank hung out a lot together. I was Frank's roommate and being a litle gullible and naive, was ripe for the pickings. One night these three convinced me that someone in Schaaf Hall had intentionally taken my Reds ball cap. I frantically looked for it where they told me, making numerous trips up and down the stairs. Upon finding it, I went back to my room to find that someone had taken our orange chair! I must have been color blind my sophomore year because we had red carpet with one brown chair and one orange chair, definitely not on par with what you see on HGTV. Well, after what seemed like an eternity of searching and asking everyone where my chair was, it magically reappeared in my room. Mark was a prankster, but he made me laugh and accepted me for who I was and who I was becoming.
I hadn't seen Mark for 12 years when Missy and Frank called me with the news. I am thankful for my time with him, to listen to music, and talk about music. He taught me the importance of having a sense of humor, of not taking everything so seriously, and of focusing your passion. I'll remember his laugh that could move mountians, and his ability to get in the zone when playing that enabled him to be such a great musician.

Matt Groenke

4 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Matt, the story of your missing chair is legendary!! Good to hear from you - hope you and your family are well.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Jenn Kern Hancock said...

This is one of my favorite pranks of all time! I remember that Mark and Aaron were only 4 or 5 minutes ahead of you setting up the whole scavenger hunt thing!

3:57 PM  
Blogger dave bushey said...

At one point, Matt was wielding a hammer as he raced from room to room. I think the orange chair was more special to him than any of us realized.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Melissa Combs said...

Matt, you always tried to be a good sport at the hands of those wisecrackin' "boys"! Glad you're not bitter after all these years, but instead see the value in a laugh!

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home